While this recipe is somewhat simple, with few elements and can be prepared in anticipation, its taste is special! Try it!
In Scotland, you will find lamb all over the place, including on its beautiful narrow roads. It ‘s very common to use lamb meat in several recipes over there, like in the Shepherd’s pie. It’s a matter of product availability and cost.
When visiting Scotland, you will see many restaurants offering it, mainly in the countryside. It’s delicious and it’s relatively easy to cook at home. It can remind you about your Scottish travel, or you can try it before travelling, to make sure you will like it when you are there.
CURIOSITY: THE NAME SHEPHERD’S PIE BECAME OFFICIAL ONLY WHEN THE FIRST MEAT GRINDERS WERE LAUNCHED!
In our local grocery store, we just found the boneless lamb. No problems. We ground it at home. The majority of the places in Brazil do not grind it, in order to prevent the mix with other kinds of meat, since here, normally, they sell ground beef only.
TIP: YOU CAN REPLACE GROUND LAMB FOR GROUND BEEF! THEN YOU WILL PREPARE A COTTAGE PIE!
The recipe is basically the same. The only changes are the meat and the way you will cover it with potatoes. While in the traditional Shepherd’s Pie, the cover layer is made with mashed potatoes, in the Cottage Pie you will use sliced potatoes. That is why they call it cottage, because the sliced potatoes will remind you of shingle roofs, used in the cottages.
CURIOSITY: ADD BREADCRUMBS TO YOUR SHEPHERD’S PIE, AND YOU WILL HAVE A CUMBERLAND PIE!
If you are English, probably you’ll replace the lamb meat by fish, getting a Fish Pie. The vegetarians are excluding the meat from the Shepherd’s Pie and they call it Shepherdless Pie. As you can see, this recipe is very versatile. We like it a lot and usually cook it.
INGREDIENTS FOR SHEPHERD’S PIE:
– 1 lb of ground lamb;
– 1 thinly sliced onion;
– 1.5 lbs of potatoes;
– 2 sliced carrots;
– 2 oz sliced mushrooms;
– 1 bay leaf;
– 1 oz of flour;
– 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce;
– 1 oz of butter;
– 4 tablespoons of milk;
– 300 ml of beef or lamb broth;
– 1 cup of pea;
– 2 oz of cheese.
HOW TO PREPARE THE SHEPHERD’S PIE
– In a large pan put the potatoes in hot water and cook for 20 minutes until they are soft, but firm.
– Meanwhile, in another large pan, put some olive oil and cook the onion until it becomes transparent. Add the meat, the carrot, the mushrooms, pea and the bay leaf. Cook it for 10 minutes.
– Add the flour (sifted) and stir for one minute.
– Gentle add the broth and the tomato sauce.
– Cook, and continue to stir until it thickens and boil.
– Cover the pan and let cook in low heat for about 25 minutes.
– Remove from the heat and put in an oven dish previously greased with olive oil.
– Pill the potatoes when they are ready and prepare mashed potatoes using butter and milk. Spread over the meat in the dish and cover with grated cheese.
– Bake it in the oven previously heated at 400ºF, for 15-20 minutes.
TIP: SERVE YOUR SHEPHERD’S PIE WITH A GREEN OR PEA SALAD!
TIP: YOU CAN SERVE YOUR RECIPE AT INDIVIDUAL RECIPIENTS LIKE FRENCH COCOTA OR RAMEKINS, IT’S VERY CHARMING!
I wish you’ve liked this recipe! Try it and enjoy!
See you later!
MEUS DESTINOS IMPERDÍVEIS